Friday, January 27, 2012

Crayon Rocks


We've had a very, very warm winter here in Michigan.  With such little snow, the ground has been exposed and my little rock hounds have been collecting rocks again.  I thought we'd revisit the types of rocks again (sedimentary, metamorphic and igneous) - but this time give them a more active and visual way to think about how each are formed.  There are many examples of creating rocks from crayons, but this pdf from the the Exploratorium is very helpful.

Materials Needed:
  • crayons, several of each in four different colors
  • crayon or pencil sharpener
  • 4 containers for holding the crayon shavings
  • 3-6"x6" pieces of aluminum foil
  • popsicle stick or other disposable stirrer
  • mug
  • boiling water

Process:
Unwrap the crayons and use the sharpener to create shavings.  You can also try to make the shavings use a penny or a plastic knife, although we found that the sharpener was easier and more productive than the penny or knife especially for the little ones.  Make sure to keep the shavings separate from each other at this point.



Sedimentary rocks
Sedimentary rocks are formed from sediments (tiny rock particles that were created by weathering or erosion) that were layered and then compressed.  To replicate this with the crayon shavings, take one of the aluminum foil squares and have your child sprinkle each of the colors of shavings into the middle of the square, one at a time so they will form the layers.

Fold the aluminum foil up tightly around the shavings and then compress it.  To do this, they can press on it with their hands, step on it, place it in a clamp or use your creativity to think of other ways.  .

This does take a while to get the crayon pieces to stick together and we found that a little body heat "helps" the process along.  Carefully unfold the foil and remove the sedimentary rock with care as this is the most brittle of the rocks that you are making.
A sedimentary crayon rock.


Metamorphic rocks
Metamorphic rocks are formed when existing rocks are exposed to heat and/or pressure.  To mimic this, take another square of aluminum foil and pile all four colors of shavings in the center.  Fold up the sides of the aluminum foil to make a boat.  Pour boiling water into a mug (adult job!) and float the boat in the hot water for 15 to 20 seconds, just until the shavings have started to melt.

Quickly remove the boat and fold the foil in half so that the shavings are compressed a bit. Let it cool and solidify and then open the foil and remove the metamorphic rock.
A metamorphic crayon rock.

Igneous rocks
Igneous rocks are formed when magma (molten rock) cools and solidifies.  To make an igneous crayon rock, repeat the steps for making the metamorphic rock, except leave the the aluminum foil boat floating on the hot water for a minute or more until all the crayon sediments have melted.  (This may take more or less time depending on the brand of crayons that you have used.)  Then take the popsicle stick and stir the shavings until they are all mixed together.  Remove the boat and let the crayon cool and solidify.
An igneous crayon rock.
If you are using a science journal to record your child's experiments, then you can have them record either the process of making each type of rock or draw a picture of what they looked like at the end (or both).

What's Happening?
There are three types of rocks (sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous) which, given the right conditions, can be changed from one into another.  This is known as the rock cycle, pictured below.

Sedimentary rocks are formed from the compaction and cementation of rock sediments and often have distinguishable layers.  They also may have fossils of organisms or other visible rock particles in them.  Metamorphic rocks are formed when existing rocks are exposed to heat and/or pressure; they often have distinct bands or blocks of crystals in them.  Igneous rocks are formed when magma cools and their characteristics, including crystal size, depends on how fast the rock cools.  If it cools quickly on the surface of the earth (extrusive igneous rocks), the crystals are small and pores may be apparent.  If it cools slowly under the earth, the crystals have a chance to grow larger.  More information of rocks can be found in our Creating a Rock Collection activity.

Extensions
One thing you could try is to create intrusive vs extrusive igneous crayon rocks.  Follow the directions to make two igneous rocks, but cool one in a glass of ice and the other at room temperature.  Examine the resulting "rocks" with magnifying glasses to see if there is any difference between them.  Please let me know if you try this - this is just a brainstorm idea and I really would like to know if there are any visible differences. 

If you are looking for a good children's book describing the rock cycle, we like the book "The Rock Factory: The Story about the Rock Cycle".  It probably is best for early elementary age kids.

Finally, you could try to make the different types of rocks with chocolate.  I'm thinking white, milk and dark chocolate.  Food + science - what a yummy combination!

Pin It

33 comments:

  1. I love this! My kids are older, but I think I might do this with my "class" (my kids, 2 cousins, and 1 friend).

    And you could even add a step 4, and show how hardened igneous rock can be weathered to again make sedimentary rock! =)

    Found you through Pinterest. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'd like to ask permission to use your Crayon Rocks image (at the top of your post) on my blog and link back to this post?
    It would be at this post:
    http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot.com/2011/10/apologia-general-science-module-6.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marty! This would definitely work with older kids - I've done it with middle school students and it worked great! I'd be thrilled if you linked back to this post - thanks for asking!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous idea! I think my kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this with different types of foods to make a type of cookie rock with choc. but this is great...they can do all the work as far a shavings ( I have 4th graders) and then use the hot water or microwave and cupcake liners..gives me great ideas. I will try to cool it quickly in ice water too and see what results I get...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I have made edible rocks with my third graders in previous years, but this would be a good way that they could all be involved with their own crayons!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, gneiss is a metamorphic rock. A better example of igneous rock is granite. Love this experiment though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the catch! I just saw your comment and I fixed the rock cycle picture and used granite as the example of an igneous rock instead. I had it correct on another sheet so I'm not sure what happened - I'll blame late-night delusional blogging. =)

      Delete
  7. Hello! Thank you for sharing this, just in time for our rock study :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this with my 6th graders during student teaching a couple years back. They loved it and learned so much. Definitely a fun activity or all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you!!! I will def do this with my second graders!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a dumb project for 2 year olds. Get a hobbie and a job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get a life and a dictionary, and learn to spell. Keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

      Delete
    2. I am so excited!! I am going to try this with my 4th graders. I made hard purple taffy, broke it into pieces, and then stuck the pieces together and told them it was amethyst (sp). Being 4th graders, they believed me! Then, to show how igneous rock forms, I melted it in a pot and poured it into a pan. I waited for it to cool and then shaped it into a new "rock." It was the perfect lesson!! Then I applied pressure and heat from my hands to mold it into a metamorphic rock. Then, of course, I bit off a piece and they were mortified!! :)

      Delete
  11. This is such a cool, cool idea. Pinning it to my Preschool Science board.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your idea. You bring the boring science to toddlers' level in a way that is fun and easy to understand. Well done. I am going to feature your article at iGameMom.com on Wednesday as part of Mom's Library Linky. I just started to host Mom's Library, and I found you via "30 Playful ways to teach young kids about rocks" from Mom's Library (http://ow.ly/iH9Wl).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did this with 5th graders and they absolutely love it. What is wrong with doing it with little kids??? Bringing science to the young ones is awesome! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the best hands on way of describing different types of rocks! My preschoolers will love it!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How long does this activity take? I am about to begin student teaching and am in the process of planning a "Rocks and MInerals" unit for first graders. This is so fun and is exactly what I want to do to teach them the different types of rocks, but I only have about 40 minutes each day for science. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd make sure I try the experiment myself before teaching it, if you're particularly worried about time. Then multiply the time it takes you by about 5 and that's how long the lesson will take.

      With a short period, you're going to want to make sure everything is as prepped as possible and skills are already taught so the lab is JUST about discovering and doing. Also, make sure you've (or the master teacher) has done anchor lessons to teach all skills you think are necessary such as scientific sketching, using the worksheet (if you do, I'd ask the master teacher what worksheet they use for scientific observation. You don't have to reinvent the wheel) to write or draw observations, etc. which will speed up a lab lesson when you get to them. Establishing routines are key to short periods.

      I'll be using an electric tea pot already filled and ready to go in my classroom (maybe with another adult if you have that resource) to make sure the water is hot and watched to be out of child reach.

      Delete
    2. I'd make sure I try the experiment myself before teaching it, if you're particularly worried about time. Then multiply the time it takes you by about 5 and that's how long the lesson will take.

      With a short period, you're going to want to make sure everything is as prepped as possible and skills are already taught so the lab is JUST about discovering and doing. Also, make sure you've (or the master teacher) has done anchor lessons to teach all skills you think are necessary such as scientific sketching, using the worksheet (if you do, I'd ask the master teacher what worksheet they use for scientific observation. You don't have to reinvent the wheel) to write or draw observations, etc. which will speed up a lab lesson when you get to them. Establishing routines are key to short periods.

      I'll be using an electric tea pot already filled and ready to go in my classroom (maybe with another adult if you have that resource) to make sure the water is hot and watched to be out of child reach.

      Delete
  16. great! used it for my science fair project and i came 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great project! I am doing this tomorrow - with chocolate chips! (pink -brown -yellow)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah ... i also found this from Pinterest. Bookmarked this. Would surely share it with our newsletter readers at Tatvachintan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our crayons kept getting stuck in the pencil sharpener and didn't want the kids (11 & 6) so we used a potato peeler to shave the crayons! They LOVED this craft!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I apivapsjncv;lwaKEJNV;JKANDVLKJN:CJ;lkjdn;kwFNCLA;KJCNA[OWIEJAVNAPWIHJVAKLWJHCNAPIOWE4HFAFWOPIVANPOAIZ;SLKDNCA;EI NA ,.C SJKLAJC LIAWE NASVJ,ASDBDSZJLVJNZAJVJPADKJ VLXJZVDC S;DLKZDKLJNKX KLZDX,CNCDS. A.S A.SJK KJHJKBDVC ZD.N LXJDFVBC XCLIFGHUB VA,KL CDKLJA NDXZF´ÏÔÍBDNJKL FNISDIANZLKJCNAS;IEJNA;KVN;

    ReplyDelete
  21. this site is horrible

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,..

    dmit software

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great, thank you for posting this! We are going to do this next week- I'm collecting crayons now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 7th grade science teacher here - Thanks for solving the problem of how to create crayon "sediment" without handing my students plastic knives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear everyone being mean and nasty, I am terribly sorry that you have nothing better to do with your time than to troll someone that is trying to help moms/teachers with some ideas for engaging children's minds and interesting them in science. Personally I think this is an excellent idea and would love to try it with my preschool class.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much! I have tried biscuits, I have tried chocolate but the crayons were so much easier and so much clearer! Love it!
    By the way I found it handy to have a tooth pick to clear out any obstructions in the sharpener - just a quick tip.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 7th grade science teacher here thanks fo soving the problem of how to create crayon

    ReplyDelete